Monday, December 31, 2007

Best of 2007



Happy New Year!! I'm happily ensconced in front of my TV, watching the Rose Parade and generally feeling great about the year just past and the year yet to unfold. Following in knitlit's lead, here are the highlights of 2007 for me.

1. your best FO of the year
This is a hard one! Each project has so much of me in it that they are all my favorites. I have different favs for different reasons- Tangled Yoke for it's classic and classy look, the Baby Surprise for the fascinating construction, the Herringbone Tank for my shot at design, U-Neck Vest for amazing fit and comfort. But the best of '07 goes to Ene's Scarf!

In a year of never ending firsts, this is my first lace, my first handpainted yarn and my first shawl. It never fails to impress the pants off of knitters and non-knitters alike.

2. best FO of the year made by a blog you link to
That has to be oneof the many eyepopping projects from brooklyntweed! I think the winner for me is the Adult Totem Jacket , although, did you see his latest post? Big Blue is pretty amazing...

3. best yarn you tried
Oh, Malabrigo. Yum. so soft, so beautiful, so decadent!

4. best new book/mag/pattern of 2007
Fitted Knits by Stephanie Japel! I knit 5 projects from that book already.

5. best new knitting technique or gadget you tried in 2007
Cabling without a cable needle is revolutionary. I felt like I was pulling a magic trick every time I did it. Knitting backward (useful for entrelac) was a close second, though.

6. top 5 inspirations--what five things inspired you the most over the past year?

  1. Ravelry. The sheer elegance of this site is breathtaking. I am inspired by the dream of Jess and Casey and I am inspired by the community that has sprung up around them. This is taking Web 2.0 and putting it to it's best use. I feel like Ravelry is nothing short of a window to a new world order...
  2. brooklyntweed - Jared inspires me with his knitting, design, handspun and photography. I "get" that we are involved in a pursuit of art and craft when I see his creations.
  3. The Knitting BlogosphereWOW. You bloggers out there are an amazing group of people. You write so eloquently, you photograph so inspirationally, you create, you design, you teach but most of all you share. You share yourselves and you share your love of the craft. You are all my inspiration.
  4. New techniques. Since I am a relatively new knitter, everything is new to me. Each project inspires me with a new method of construction (BSJ?! Yoke sweater construction?!) a new cable or stitch, a new object (mittens). Every new experience makes me believe that someday I will designs items of my own!
  5. My blog. It is a way to hold myself accountable to finishing projects, a reason to raise my photography skills and a validation from people who know (other knitters) that my obsession is normal. At least to them. And, because I want to contribute to this community, I have aspirations of adding designs, tutorials and great links. This means I have to constantly improve my skill set to get there!
7. designer who most amazed & inspired you throughout the year
That would also have to be brooklyntweed.

8. knitting resolutions for 2008--what's next for you and your blog?
I want to design a top for myself from scratch. I want to knit a bag and another lace scarf. Maybe I might like to experiment with yarn dying. I really want to do a fair isle project with steeking, but I don't now if I am committed to that this year. We'll see. As for my blog - I keep threatening to move it to wordpress and create it's own domain. This would mean that I am committed to blogging - and making something of it. Am I that committed?

There you go. 2007 in a nutshell. For those who surf on by once in a while or more, thank you. The validation that I get from your comments means the world to me. Non-knitters can say lovely things about my work, but you guys truly appreciate what I am doing. Thank you for your comments and compliments and I look forward to much more of the same in 2008!