Wednesday, December 12, 2007

It's not Koolhaas - It's Kool-Hawt!

Let's catch up on th Christmas FO's, shall we? I call this hat Kool - Hawt, because my DH looks so hawt wearing it! (for a definition of hawt, read Trent over at Pink is the New Blog - hi-larious guy). This hat was actually made for my cousin, who is an internationally known glass artist. He is married to an internationally known quilter. The bar is set pretty darn high, to say the least. Lucky for me, they are the nicest people in the world and I know he will appreciate the fact that it is hand made and not store bought.
Shhhh. don't tell DH, but he looked so cute modeling this hat, I made him one, too. The Koolhaas is some of the best fun I've had knitting since... well, since the Ene's Scarf! I used Cascade Superwash and the recommended needles. Row gauge was waaaay off, so the hat is taller than it should be. No worries - just flip up the edge, et, voila!


Next up is a So Called Scarf. This is my first entry into the insanity of the skilled knitter. It goes like this - Friday I find out the we are having a going away party for a beloved manager the following Tuesday. Friday night I think, "a hand knitted gift is the perfect way to express gratitude! Sure, I can knit a whole freakin' scarf in 3 days, no problem!!!" I had 2 skeins of SWS in Natural Earth on hand and My So Called Scarf in the Ravelry queue. From cast on to bind off - 48 hrs. Woo-Hoo!


DH thought the colorway might not be manly enough - but he is gamely modeling it. I think it is quite manly, don't you?

Now, all the effort and time put into these gifts deserves an appropriately dramatic presentation. I want the recipient to feel the thrill of anticipation that this gift might be special. This is red tissue paper wrapped in a kraft paper sleeve with raffia tie. Festive, isn't it?

We are 27 rows away from finished with Christmas knitting! Will I return to purely narcissistic knitting and finish my U-Neck School vest? Or, will I add last minute gifts to the list of holiday activities? Stay tuned...