Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sipalu is Finished!

Finally finished. Finally. This is the most detailed bit of knitting to date and I am quite proud of myself. There are flaws, certainly. My next Fair Isle will be much better, certainly. But this will always be the first!!

Sipalu

The first thing I have to tell you is that this bag is BIG. I thought it would be this cute little side bag, but it is a full on purse. Here is a perspective shot:

Sipalu

The other thing is the structure. This is my first knitted purse and I'm not sure how I feel about the slouchiness of it all. In these shots I stuffed it with newspaper, but in real life the weight of my necessities makes the bag do all sorts of unpleasant things. I might rip out the lining and put in an interface or plastic side inserts. Maybe this will just be a museum piece.. I dunno.

Sipalu

I also knit the i-cord strap extra long so can wear it cross body, messenger bag style. Afterall, this is a rather bo-ho sort of design.

In the end I might have more of a show stopper than something practical, but that ain't bad, eh? It was a very interesting knit and a great first fair isle project. My ultimate goal is Venezia or Autumn Rose.